Friday, October 23, 2020

Living With the COVID 19 Blues

Note: I began this post on April 12, 2020. That was before we had lost some 220,000 Americans to this pandemic. Now, it is October 23rd, new cases in the U.S. are at 60,000 per day and the President is still insisting this virus is just "going away".
It has not gone anywhere. For most of 2020, we, the people of this country, have not gone anywhere!
So here you go, for what it's worth-my take on how it was and how it is!

(April 12, 2020)
Today, we are on about our third week of "stay at home". We gradually worked into it. At first, we were allowing our thirteen year old son's friends to come over. Now, no one but family and one next door neighbor comes in. We also do not go out, save for a daily walk. Only one person is allowed in the store, so if the kids go, they have to wait outside.
In America, this is very difficult. We are so accustomed to going where we want, when we want and with whom we want, I have to confess, I am feeling put out!
My energy level is in the tank, as well. I think it's mostly boredom, though I cringe at every dry cough I emit! No fever, so I'm good, I tell myself.
But mentally good? That's another story!
I don't know how to "have a pandemic". None of us know this stuff! Well, except for "Donald, the Greatest Genius Ever to Walk the Earth". Right?!
Yes, I know. I am dripping with sarcasm, but somebody has to say these things!

So, COVID 19 is proving to be more of a mental challenge for me than anything. I wake up early, see if the sun is shining and depending on how gloomy it looks outside, I may have coffee then or go back to sleep a while.
Soon, though I must have that hot, slightly bitter, black liquid washing over my tongue or I am not happy...

And that is where I left off in April.

Now, here is the rest...in October 2020...

After that, all bets are off what I may do. I might burst out in song, or in tears, either one. It makes it hard for others to predict whether walking on eggshells is a good activity or a waste of time. I can honestly tell them it doesn't matter. Eggshells or not, my mental state "is what it is", to borrow a recent "Trumpism" Run along! Nothing to see here! And I head back to bed.
I tried hot baths. They made me more tired. I don't drink anymore-not for ten years now. I do, however,  thoroughly enjoy my evening "herbal remedy", the only thing that really soothes my jangled nerves!

As for any sense of normalcy, it may be to my advantage that my adult life has never had much of that. I am not sure what people with "normal" lives do, but I suspect they don't have conversations with cats, as though they are humans(who speak English, no less!). I have to imagine they do not have a grown autistic son camped on their living room floor for months due to a major change in group home arrangements. Did I mention his favorite cat appears to be wanting to "check out"? I doubt many "normies" are dealing with all this today! I am also pretty sure that normal people don't have blogs they rarely write on-and that they don't use writing to avoid washing the dishes! It doesn't really make for good blog posts!

See? This is probably my worst post ever. So, chances are I will never publish it. But it kept me awake a while and kept the housework at bay!

In closing, let me say that when all else fails to cheer me, often I can come up with a song about how things are. Not 

The COVID 19 Blues:

I got up to go to work
Then on my radio some jerk
Said "Stay at home! Don't ya roam!"
And I lost my spunk and perk.

I need a reason to smile
So in just a little while
I'll watch Trump try to grin
As he polishes his spin...
I'm sorry, Donny. No, it's not funny.
It's the Covid 19 Blues!


That's it. The COVID 19 Blues is a crummy little song for a crummy little time in Murika!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments and discussion but ask that our discourse be civil and reasonable. We must not stoop to name calling, belittling or otherwise bullying anyone. Thank you for your adherence to these principles of common decency and fairness.